This week when a woman gave birth to a baby that was from an embryo that had been frozen for 24 years, Americans started talking even more about in vitro fertilization procedures. In fact, the embryo that became the baby that was born this week is only one year younger than the woman who gave birth to the baby. Headlines across the nation quoted the mother as saying that she and the baby, actually, could have been best friends.
A growing number of couples are looking at in vitro fertilization procedures when they find out that they are infertile. And now that the technique of freezing embryos is more and more common, it should come as no surprise that more and more couples are also looking at the adoption of frozen embryos that are available.
Today’s statistics show that as many as 6.7 million women between the ages of 15 and 44 have impaired fecundity, which means that they have an impaired ability to get pregnant or to carry a baby to term. For some of these women, fertility centers are a perfect solution.
Consider some of these other statistics about the infertility problems that some couples face and the services that in vitro fertilization clinics offer:
- 7.4 million women, or 11.9% of women, have received infertility services at least once in their lifetime.
- When they are between the ages of 20 and 24, women are the most fertile.
- Dropping steeply from the age of 35, fertility first starts to decline for women from about the age of 30.
- 12% of married women have trouble getting pregnant or sustaining a pregnancy.
- 44% of women with infertility conditions have sought medical assistance.
- Of the 44% of women who seek medical intervention, approximately 65% of them successfully give birth.
Anyone who watched the news this week has seen the exciting details about the baby that was born rom the embryo that has been frozen for 24 years cannot help but think about the implications. Couples who struggle with infertility will especially be excited about the latest in vitro fertilization procedures. The holidays are a perfect time to make sure that you have an appointment to see if you are a candidate for these procedures.